Monday, March 7, 2011

Homemade Pizza

This is by far the most frequently made meal in our house. I got the recipe for the crust during my time in a ladies mentoring bible study, Apples of Gold, where I also got the recipe for Stinky Chicken. Also, I used to be afraid of yeast before this recipe...fear no more!

Homemade Pizza Crust




1 pkg or 1 tablespoon yeast (quick rising or regular - I use regular)
1 cup warm (NOT hot) water (if you get the water too hot, it will kill the yeast and your dough won't rise)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons oil (I use olive oil)
2 1/2 cups flour (I use about half whole wheat and half white flour)

Mix yeast and water and let stand until yeast dissolves (just a few minutes). Add sugar, salt, and oil and stir well. Gradually add flour and stir until ball forms of dough. Cover bowl with towel and put in warm place to let rise for approximately 30 minutes (I use regular yeast, so this time is sometimes longer) *quick hint* turn oven on for no more than 30 seconds and turn off, place the bowl of dough in the oven and shut the door* Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread dough on one large pizza pan and let rise uncovered until desired thickness (usually about 15 more minutes). 

*quick hint* after letting dough rise an additional 15 minutes, put the dough in the oven (before adding toppings) for about 5 minutes to begin the cooking process* 
Top with your favorite toppings and cook for 15-20 minutes.


1 comments:

Lisa Smith said...

So trying this next week, spring break with the kids. I'm afraid of yeast!!