Friday, June 17, 2011

Adventures in CrockPot Cooking: Tex Mex Roast

I am starting a new adventure! This crazy Texas heat mixed with my 7 month pregnant body do not cope well with an oven turned on in the afternoons, so I've decided to stick to [mostly] CrockPot meals for now. I found this AMAZING website (http://crockpot365.blogspot.com) that has the widest variety of CrockPot meals, side dishes, desserts, and crafts I have ever seen! The blogger, Stephanie, even used her CrockPot to give herself a pedicure!! Now, I wouldn't say I'm going that extreme, but some of her ideas are just wonderful!

Last night, I began my CrockPot adventure with Tex Mex Roast. Everyone say it with me, "OOOOO, AHHHHH!"


Brian and I have very different taste buds, so at the end of each of these posts I'll be sure to clue you in on both of our reactions to the recipe! 

First reason I like this recipe: 5 ingredients.
Second reason I like this recipe: dump & go! 


For your ingredients you'll need:
  • 2 lbs Boneless Chuck Roast
  • 1 can corn w/peppers
  • 1 can Chili Beans
  • 1 can Rotel
  • 1 teaspoon Chipotle Chili Powder



First, put your roast in the bottom of your CrockPot and sprinkle evenly with chipotle chili powder.


Then, dump the rest of the ingredients on top of the roast. DO NOT DRAIN ANY OF THE CANS! If you use a frozen roast (which is super super wonderful to do!), your cooking length may vary, but I set my CrockPot on low for about 7.5-8 hours. You want your beef to fall apart with a fork.

Our Reactions
Sarah - I must say that as it was cooking, I was slightly thrown off by the Chipotle smell. It smelled [to me] like I should be cooking a BBQ dinner, when I knew I was cooking a Tex Mex dinner. I had a rough time at first, but I tasted the corn, tomato & chili, and bean mixture...it was DELICIOUS! Once I added it all together ontop of a bed of homemade Spanish rice, I thoroughly enjoyed this meal! It was a different flavor than any roast I had ever tasted...and I think this was the first time I've eaten a Chuck Roast, so there was a lot more fat than I was used to, but I can't imagine the recipe being cooked any other way!

Brian - He LOVED it. He said it was a little spicy to him (I think that can be attributed to the Chipotle Chili Powder + Rotel), but he got himself an ice cold Coca-Cola and cleaned his plate! He loves beef, so really, this was an easy meal to please him!

As my Mom put it so pleasantly, "Happy Crocking!!"
-Sarah

0 comments: